I wrote this post thinking it might be useful for my Japanese-speaking readers. For future reference, at least.
Through working with Japanese people everyday, I've come to notice certain common errors in English. One of the main offenders being the usage of "at first." Though they may look similar, the usages of "at first" and "first" aren't the same. They certainly both have the same fundamental meaning, but in natural English, their respective nuances and patterns are different. I wanted to elaborate a bit on that distinction.
このポストは日本人の読者様に役に立つかなと思って書きました。これからの為ぐらいね。
毎日日本人と働いて、一般的な英語の間違えが気づいてきたんだ。その一つは、「At first」っていう語句の使い方。
どれほど似ていても、「At first」と「First」とは、使用が違うのよ。両方、確かに「最初に」って意味がありますが、自然な英語では、それぞれのニュアンスもパタンがも別だ。その判別を皆様に知らせてあげたいから。
Before anything else, I want to illustrate the more basic "first" a bit. You use "first" when telling a story or talking about a schedule/plan. In other words, when discussing some series of events. For example...
まず、もっと基本的な「First」の言葉を説明する。「First」の場合は、ストーリーや予定。詰まり、成り行きの話で使うこと。例えば。。。
(1.) "First, we went to the hot spring. After that, we had lunch."
「最初に、温泉にした。その後、お昼を食べた。」
(2.) "First we have a lecture, and then we can take a break."
「まずは、講義の予定、そして休憩してもいい。」
As you can see, it simply THE first in a group of occurrences
So then, what about "at first"? That one is a bit more complicated.
In the case of "at first," it's used when one's expectations in some way don't match reality. Meaning, if you had thought something mistakenly, or circumstances had changed on you, you should use it. There are two grammatical points here. The first is, it's always used in past tense sentences. In that way, it contrasts with example two above. The second point is that when using "at first," you usually also use "but." You can see this grammar at work in the below examples where I've underlined them for you.
見る通り、ただの「最初に」、「まず」のような使い方なんだ。
ほな、「At first」はどうでしょうか?
それが、もうちょっと複雑な説明ね。
「At first」の場合は、自分の期待と現実が、どうやら合わなかった時の言い方。というと、自分が間違って思ってしまっていたか、事情は何かが変わったか、そんな時に使ったらいい。文法のポイントは、二つ。一つ目は、いつも過去形の英文で使うこと。それで、以上の例の二番と違う所となっている。二つ目は、「At first」を言う英文なら、「But」も言うのが普通だ。以下の例文の線を引いておいたところで、その二点が見えると思う。
(3.) "At first I thought he was a cold person, but after I started talking to him, I realized he's just shy."
「最初に彼が冷たい人と思っていたのに、話しかけてから、シャイだけだからと気づいた。」
(4.) "At first I wanted to have sushi, but the place I was thinking of turned out to be too expensive, so I changed my mind."
「最初には、寿司を食べたかったけど、行てみようと思ってたお店がやっぱり高すぎて、辞めといたんだ。」
(5.) "At first we were going to have a picnic, but it started to rain, so we opted to stay inside."
「ピックニックの予定だったが、あめが降り出したから、中のままでいいと決めた。」
My Japanese here could easily be borked, so let me apologize in case. At any rate, I hope I helped illustrate the difference between these two similar English phrases for you.
日本語が間違っているかもしれなくて、すみません。でも、この説明で、もう少し分かってもらえたといいね。
De wa, kondo ne.
では、今度ね。
Through working with Japanese people everyday, I've come to notice certain common errors in English. One of the main offenders being the usage of "at first." Though they may look similar, the usages of "at first" and "first" aren't the same. They certainly both have the same fundamental meaning, but in natural English, their respective nuances and patterns are different. I wanted to elaborate a bit on that distinction.
このポストは日本人の読者様に役に立つかなと思って書きました。これからの為ぐらいね。
毎日日本人と働いて、一般的な英語の間違えが気づいてきたんだ。その一つは、「At first」っていう語句の使い方。
どれほど似ていても、「At first」と「First」とは、使用が違うのよ。両方、確かに「最初に」って意味がありますが、自然な英語では、それぞれのニュアンスもパタンがも別だ。その判別を皆様に知らせてあげたいから。
Before anything else, I want to illustrate the more basic "first" a bit. You use "first" when telling a story or talking about a schedule/plan. In other words, when discussing some series of events. For example...
まず、もっと基本的な「First」の言葉を説明する。「First」の場合は、ストーリーや予定。詰まり、成り行きの話で使うこと。例えば。。。
(1.) "First, we went to the hot spring. After that, we had lunch."
「最初に、温泉にした。その後、お昼を食べた。」
(2.) "First we have a lecture, and then we can take a break."
「まずは、講義の予定、そして休憩してもいい。」
As you can see, it simply THE first in a group of occurrences
So then, what about "at first"? That one is a bit more complicated.
In the case of "at first," it's used when one's expectations in some way don't match reality. Meaning, if you had thought something mistakenly, or circumstances had changed on you, you should use it. There are two grammatical points here. The first is, it's always used in past tense sentences. In that way, it contrasts with example two above. The second point is that when using "at first," you usually also use "but." You can see this grammar at work in the below examples where I've underlined them for you.
見る通り、ただの「最初に」、「まず」のような使い方なんだ。
ほな、「At first」はどうでしょうか?
それが、もうちょっと複雑な説明ね。
「At first」の場合は、自分の期待と現実が、どうやら合わなかった時の言い方。というと、自分が間違って思ってしまっていたか、事情は何かが変わったか、そんな時に使ったらいい。文法のポイントは、二つ。一つ目は、いつも過去形の英文で使うこと。それで、以上の例の二番と違う所となっている。二つ目は、「At first」を言う英文なら、「But」も言うのが普通だ。以下の例文の線を引いておいたところで、その二点が見えると思う。
(3.) "At first I thought he was a cold person, but after I started talking to him, I realized he's just shy."
「最初に彼が冷たい人と思っていたのに、話しかけてから、シャイだけだからと気づいた。」
(4.) "At first I wanted to have sushi, but the place I was thinking of turned out to be too expensive, so I changed my mind."
「最初には、寿司を食べたかったけど、行てみようと思ってたお店がやっぱり高すぎて、辞めといたんだ。」
(5.) "At first we were going to have a picnic, but it started to rain, so we opted to stay inside."
「ピックニックの予定だったが、あめが降り出したから、中のままでいいと決めた。」
My Japanese here could easily be borked, so let me apologize in case. At any rate, I hope I helped illustrate the difference between these two similar English phrases for you.
日本語が間違っているかもしれなくて、すみません。でも、この説明で、もう少し分かってもらえたといいね。
De wa, kondo ne.
では、今度ね。
No comments:
Post a Comment