Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Happy Birthday - 私のハッピーバースデー

So the 28th of June was my birthday, and this post just to talk about what went on.
六月二十八日は私の誕生日だったんだ。このポストがその日を祝うように何をしたことにつく。

First and foremost, my most wonderful English Conversation class treated me to a lovely dinner at a Taiwanese restuarant! I'll refrain from too much commentary and explain via pictures instead.
一番最初に話したいのは、英会話のメンバーが奢ってくれたタイワン料理レストランでのすばらしい食事だよ!実は、言葉を使うよりむしろ、写真を見せて説明したいと思うね。

This is the storefront. It was a cute, hole-in-the-wall kind of place.
これは店の前。かわいくて、「壁の穴」みたいに隠されているって感じの所だった。

The pick-up counter. I liked the many various kinds of alcohol above it.
出来上がった食べ物を置いておくためのカウンター。上の色々な酒が気に入ったからね。


These were just cute.
これはかわいいだけだから。

A sort of salad combo. Tofu with pitan (preserved duck eggs), salad, and cold chicken with a sauce.
サラダ組み合わせのような料理。豆腐とピータン、サラダ、冷やかされた鶏肉とたれ。

Two kinds of fried shrimp. One sauce was spicy, the other was sweet.
油揚げ海老の二種類。ソースの一つは辛くて、もう一つは甘かった。

Shark's fin soup.
フカヒレ汁

Fried stuff. Spring rolls and mochi balls with sesame filling.
揚げ物。春巻きとセサミのフィリングの餅。

Beef and veggie stir-fry.
牛肉と野菜炒め。

Two kinds of steamed bun. One mango, the other azuki bean.
蒸しパンの二種類。マンゴとこし餡。

Spinach with garlic. This was surprisingly delicious and flavorful.
ほうれん草とガーリック。これは意外と強い味をして、おいしかった。

Chinese-style fried rice, under an omelet. I think I liked this style better than typical fried rice. It was almost like Chinese omu-raisu.
タイワン料理の炒飯。普通のより、こんな炒飯の方が好きと思う。もう少しで中国料理のオムライスみたいね。

And the inside!
そして、中身!


Peking duck, with sliced scallions and cucumbers.
ペキンダックと切っておいた長ねぎときゅうり

What you just saw, wrapped in a thin crepe-like pancake.
さっき見たの、薄くて、クレープみたいなパンケーキに巻き込んだ。


And dessert! Hollowed out melon, filled with chilled fruit, and watermelon on the side.
そして、デザート!凹まれたメロンの中に、冷やかされたフルーツと西瓜。

Sparkling, smiley me.
光っている笑っている私。

All of us together in one shot. Thanks for the great meal, guys!
皆と一緒の写真。ごちそうさまでした!ありがとう!

But it wasn't just the food; they also gave me gifty things. You can see them above, but here are a couple more shots.
でも、食事だけでなく、プレゼントもくれたんだ。上に見えると思うけど、写真をもっと見せてあげる。


A beautiful potted plant, and a bouquet of lilies. I was thrilled to receive them!
鉢植えも百合のブーケもいただいてうれしかった!

But I got some gifts from some other people too. Japanese people certainly seem to love gift-giving.
でも、ほかの人からもギフトをもらったよ。日本人は本当にプレゼント好きのようですね。
(^。^)

This is a huggy pillow that came with a gel pack. You freeze the gel pack, put it inside the pillow, and then hold it at night to keep you a bit cooler. It's great for the hot summers here. Thanks, Doi-sensei!
これはゼルパックが付いているハグ枕。ゼルパックを氷らせてから、枕に入れといて、寝ている間に抱きしめたら体を少し涼しく出来る。日本の暑い夏にばっちり。ありがとう、土井先生!


A brooch that my coworker, Edagawa-sensei, gave me. It's hard to tell just by looking, but it's made of blue leather. I never would have imagined I'd be given such an exquisite piece of work, so I was even more thrilled to get it! Thanks so much, Edawaga-sensei!
私の同僚の枝川先生がくれたブローチ。見て分からないのかもしれないけど、青い革で疲れているのよ。こんな精巧な作品を私にくれるなんて、思ってなかったよ。だからこそ、もらえてさらにうれしかった!ありがとう、枝川先生!

And that about covers my birthday, even though it is about a week late. Don't worry; soon it'll be summer vacation and I'll have alllllll the time in the world for posts. Because I know you guys hang on every update.
じゃ、それで誕生日のことが以上。一週間ぐらい遅いだっても。気にしないでね。すぐに夏休みに入っていって、ポストを書く時間が増えるんだから。皆さんは新しいポストを待ち望むだろうねえ。笑。

Well, mata ne.
じゃ、またね。

No comments:

Post a Comment